Thursday, March 27, 2008

Food, Glorious Food!

From the way I left this blog unattended, you'd think we were still on the highway, seeing the sights. Sadly, we returned home last Saturday after a 2 night stop over at my mom's outside of Shreveport, LA. I kept meaning to finish the road trip tale, but all I wanted to do at my mom's was sleep and eat. Speaking of eating...
My good friend Niki once told me her dad has a saying..."If you are at least 100 miles from home, what you eat in the way of calories does not count". Ok, sounds good to me!

What is it about eating unusual food and lots of food that makes someone (me) want to grab her camera and record for all to see? All I know is it's a good thing no one had a camera trained on me when, after choosing to eat chicken pot pie twice on the trip, I find out one serving has over 800 calories! Anyone who's worth their weight in "southernness" knows that chicken pot pie is not served or consumed with just one serving. Heck, you're not even full when you get down to the "pot"!

Did I mention this trip fell during the Easter holiday? Question: How many peeps can a 44 year old woman (who should know better) cram in her mouth before her 9 year old wonders aloud, "Hey, who ate all the peeps"? If it wasn't for that yellow sugar dusting my mouth, I'd still be in the clear.

And did I mention my sister Linda gave me 2 packages (12 count total) of marshmallow filled chocolate bunnies ? Would you care to guess how many the children ate? I'm ashamed to tell you the answer is two! At one point Corbin hinted, "Those marshmallow bunnies sure were good!". Operative word being were! All that remained were shiny green wrappers hidden deep under the passenger seat.
Somewhere close to the end of the journey, I decided enough was enough. Sure, it had been fun, ordering whatever I wanted, throwing caution to the wind (and watching it land on my backside). However, come Monday morning, I was determined to undo the damage, turn over a new leaf and eat healthy again.

I'm happy to report I've done just that! No more peeps, bunnies, or chickens in pie form will cross these lips for awhile!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - but you haven't bought the leftover peeps and either froze them for "rough" days or put them in the microwave-tast just like a burnt marshmellow!! Linda

Beth said...

You two are pathetic -- here i am slit hip to hip because of all that junk and you STILL want it -- oh, wait a minute, doc said majority of my mid section came from child birth -- either way, have a PEEP of a Good day!! Love you guys!!

Leigh said...

Sis, it sounds to me like you have
a) bought leftover peeps and
b) toasted them in the microwave!

And Beth, I'm thinking about you every sit up I do and wishing I could have it the "easy" way! Hee! hee!

Beth said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!As soon as I can sit up again, I will be doing sit ups right there with ya sister!!

Lynette said...

yo'all forgot to tell me about the freezing of peeps!!!!