Monday, August 4, 2008

"I hate Nature!"

....Direct quote spoken by Gabrielle Fontana on August 3, 2008 while hiking in Glacier National Park.

Have you ever visited a national park with a teenager? Take my advice, leave him/her/them in the hotel, in the car or better yet, at home. Particularly if you have a younger brother along on the trip. I've lost count of the number of times I've told someone to "Stop it", "Quit arguing", "Leave your brother/sister alone" or "Look, we'll never be here again so just gut it up and enjoy what God has created".

And ask them to disconnect from their iPod or Nintendo DS like we did today and you'll hear..."What?! We were on this mountain for 6 hours yesterday. What could we possible see new in this same park?"

Or how about..."It makes me sick to look out the window". You can guess this comment was from the teenager. The ten year old was a better sport, particularly when he realized he could stand on the console in the suburban, hang out the sun roof and wave to all the passing cars. He was a national park convert who gladly let his Nintendo fall to the floor.

His sister, however, spent her time doing this....

Stay tuned tomorrow for "Recalculating" or more aptly
titled "Are you sure this is the way to Polebridge?".


3 comments:

The Wilsons said...

Hi Leigh, this is Beth's friend Annie. Unfortunately, I hear those same types of comments from our 8 year old son, Gary, AND my 32year old husband!!!! If they're not on a four-wheeler covered in mud, they're not on vacation! I have little hope in our two-year-old son either, but I'm not giving up on him just yet! Hope yall have a fun rest of the trip.

Anonymous said...

Sis - I am so glad my "teenage" years are over with!!! Just remember - they exit the human race around 12-13 and re-enter it hmmm- maybe around 25-30!! Linda

Leigh said...

Annie,

If I ever get around to finishing the next blog entry, you'll get the answer to how the rest of the trip went! It was interesting to say the least!