Monday, May 5, 2008

Straight to the hips!

It's a Twinkie, that's chilled and then deep-fried in tempura batter and oil for 2 minutes. The cooking process melts the vanilla-cream center, which infuses the yellow cake and gives it a souffle or pudding-like texture. Finally, the treats are sprinkled with powdered sugar.
I think I gained a pound just writing that.

Here's the break down:

1 Twinkie = 150 calories (alone)

Batter and oil = 275 calories

Total Damage = 425 calories

A few Saturday's ago, Fred and I went with 2 couples to the annual Crawfish Festival just around the corner in Old Town Spring. Other items were on the menu besides mudbugs; corndogs, roasted corn, sausage on a stick, GINORMOUS turkey legs and tempting sweets such as funnel cakes and the above mentioned fried twinkies.

Niki (my friend in the middle) and I decided to split a funnel cake AND a twinkie...less glutenous that way. Mmm, mmm good! No, not just good... decadent, irresistible, scrumptious, and did I mention 1 bite can go straight to the thighs in less than 30 seconds?

So, even though Niki and I shared the twinkie, I still need to factor in half of the funnel cake which is 380 calories, add it to half of the calorie count for the Twinkie which adds up to approximately 600 calories that I consumed in less than the time it's taken to write this entry!

Whose up for fried oreos next year?

5 comments:

Beth said...

Could you take ANYMORE of the fun out of it!!!! MY GOSH leave something to the imagination next time would ya!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Who originally discovers those delicious things. I have never eaten a regular Twinkie, but this sounds decadently good. What fun! Live it up! Hugs

Anonymous said...

My thighs are crying for a Twinkie, fried of course!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm- advise from older sister.... One morning you just wake up and it has all shifted----down!!! But hey- go ahead and eat some more- you will only be this age once!! In your retirement- you can work it off!! Linda

Vanessa said...

That sounds absolutely wonderful! My new motto in life is to eat whatever and do whatever! Have fun!